Thursday, December 28, 2006

Matt has entered the building!

Okay, well, I am sure you guys all know by the comments left on my last posting that Matt is here! (plus at my absence of posts). He is so perfect! The umbilical cord was wrapped twice around his neck and they had to do a c-section. Hey, it wasn't my first choice but the feeling of the horrible painful contractions fading into nothingness was rather wonderful. I only have a small incision that even my lo-rise bikini underwear covers.

He was 8 lbs, 3 ounces, and 19 and 1/2 inches long. He has MY hair! For some reason, that was the strangest part. I only got to see him for a few seconds after he was born, and because my arms were strapped down I could only nuzzle him and kiss him and tell him I love him. I didn't get to see him for almost three hours! I did see photos of him and it was really unreal. It only was real when I finally got to hold him. He was crying and crying and when I picked him up and talked to him he quieted down immediately and looked me in the eyes--THAT'S when it became real.
Anyway, now I am home. I got released early from the hospital because I was doing so well after the c-section. Today marks 5 days after I gave birth to Matthew, and I am not in much pain and I am walking around mostly okay. I still can't lift anything, but I'm pretty mobile. Ooo--and I made a point of putting on normal clothes today, even though the shirt is going to come off soon anyway for breastfeeding.
Ah, breastfeeding. It really isn't coming naturally for either of us. Now he will at least latch on and it will go okay, but it's been and still is a struggle. Plus, it's insanely painful. I dread feeding time. But, I know it'll get better once him and I really get the hang of it.

He is a VERY active baby--when they took him out of me and put him in the incubator he was rolling around and kicking and punching--they had to put something underneath one side so it was inclined so he couldn't roll so much. He is super alert and takes a great interest in his surroundings even though I know he can't see them that clearly. He will stare at you...well me...in the eyes for such long periods of time. It's really precious.
As far as I can tell he is on schedule development-wise. There is a very specific pattern of pooping that newborns are supposed to follow, and he's on track. Yay! I never thought I could be so thrilled about stuff like that. Right now he is sound asleep in his bassinet after a nice long feeding. He did stay awake for a good half hour afterwards, just looking around at stuff. I wonder if he is bored sometimes, but then I remember that literally EVERYTHING is new to him.
Anyway, I am hungry and don't have much time until he is hungry again. There's lots more to talk about like who visited and what the hospital was like and such, but it's going to have to wait.


There are many, many more pictures, but these are all my limited time has to offer right now. Thank you everyone for your support!

3 comments:

The Mutant Penguin Herself said...

Thanks for posting up 2 pictures I didn't have (and have since saved to my computer!)! I think in the top picture, except for the ears, Matt reminds me of Sean. He's going to be good looking anyway... look at his parents! I can't wait until it's MY turn to hold him and kiss him. You had about the same experience with birth with Matt that I had with you. You all look wonderful. January 17th is going to be WAY too long coming! Lots of love, Mom

The Mutant Penguin Herself said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Mutant Penguin Herself said...

Oh Blogger hates me! It posted my comment twice (sorry - that's why I deleted it). Still, can't help but be proud of my first grandson. He's cute. And I love him very much. And I love his parents (BOTH OF THEM!) very much, too. I will have to bring something to knit for one or all of you. Love, Mom