Thursday, December 07, 2006

And Today I...

I wanted to get those nursery pictures up as quickly as possible, since I just e-mailed a bunch out and told those I mailed them to that if they couldn't see the pictures then they could visit my blog, and some of these people are avid e-mail checkers and I didn't want to lead them astray :-P. So anyway, yesterday and today were pretty cool. I already posted about my doctor's appointment, but later that afternoon/evening I met my mother-in-law in Temecula where we had a DELICIOUS dinner (mmm, spinach and artichoke dip AND pizza!). Then we went to Babies-R-Us which had just opened near my work. It turns out we by chance came on the first night they were open and the staff was really helpful. I was asking one woman if they carried any safety locks for sliding closet doors, and she said they didn't but with her 18 month old she just uses a broom handle to hold them shut and that works great. I appreciated the cheap advice :-). So my mother-in law took me on a shopping spree and bought the remaining stuff--bassinet mattress cover, bassinet sheets, a mattress pad for the crib and more sheets. We got these weird things I had never even SEEN before (which she and my friend Jana both assured me were super essential); they are really thin fleece blankets that are kind of stiff and are waterproof. Apparently you use them to change baby on so he doesn't mess up whatever surface he's on, and they're especially nice on the public changing stations. According to Jana, those public changing stations are really cold and baby will scream bloody murder if you put his bare butt on them, so it's best to have one of those pads handy for comfort/sanitary reasons. They also make good burping cloths, a good place to lay baby on anywhere, etc. And to think--I didn't know I even needed those things! I was just going to take some puppy pads with me to change him on the go. Well--I have a ton of unused ones and they're soft on top, absorbent, and waterproof on the bottom. My mother-in-law insisted that I am NOT going to use puppy pads. Honestly, I don't see why not. I am still taking a few in my diaper bag anyway. We got some swaddling blankets ( I only had a couple), a swaddler (an extremely confusing looking blanket thingie that is made specifically for swaddling that I have NO CLUE how to use even after reading the directions), all the hygiene/health stuff, and some waterproof burping cloths. Which, as my mom in law assured me, won't ever be in the right place anyway but they're still good to have. Now I am nervous...what other commonly used "indispensable" things don't I know about??? To think I was so silly to think all a baby needed was two loving parents, two breasts filled with milk, and a blanket. HAH! It's not that simple anymore!!!!

No comments: