Friday, January 25, 2008

We Always Snow Where To Go To Have Some Fun

So after my doctor's appointment today (I didn't get the iud, they need to wait until I am on my period...feel sorry for that doctor!), we decided that it was too dull in Hemet and we needed to escape! Of course there is no real escape in Hemet, but we tried. It's sort of like going to a different floor in the Hotel California. Anyway, so we went up to the very nearby mountains to...Idyllwild!

Matthew got sick on the way up (like mother like son I guess) and puked everywhere. So we stopped here for some fresh air (and a new outfit).

After we calmed him down, it was on the road again to the Idyllwild Country Park!

Here's him doing his latest fad face.

I want you! To take me to the park!

And at last, we arrive!

Matt was pretty bewildered by the snow. It was a lot of crying, then "wow, this is pretty cool", than fake crying, then putting snow in his mouth, then loving it, then playing with it, and having a good time.

Ooo...what's this???

It's his snow stick. He wasn't too confident about touching it, so he got a stick and poked it for a while.
Here, see for yourself! Here's us having fun in the snow!


Matt being very clingy to daddy, as usual!

So on the map/hiking guide they gave us, it showed a nice trail curving around the park, leading around an amphitheater, than making its way back to the beginning. So, we begin in earnest, loving the snow and walking in it (it wasn't too deep). So after about, oh, 50 yards, we come across this "amphitheater":

According to the pamphlet, this amphitheater is used for routine annual sacrifices during some Festival Of The Snow Gods. Not really quite sure what that means, but they have this really cool deliberately placed baby-sized stump in the middle. And now we know how it snows in Southern California. Like that, all the pieces fall into place and we realize the only thing we can do is sacrifice Matthew so the other children can continue to enjoy the snow.

He put up a bit of a fight, as I am sure they all do. If only they knew it was for the greater good.

Well, the gods never took him, guess they'd had enough sacrifices for the time being. Sorry Matt, you're going to have to help people in some other way! Guess there really is no easy way out!

Since I could, I threw snowballs at my car. It just sat there looking very sad.

And this is what Sean did in the meantime.

Matt fed himself some kix in the backseat as we began to drive back.

But he was so tired, he could barely stay awake for five minutes until he passed out.

Here is a beautiful shot of the snow-flecked trees and the mountains looming in the mist. It was much more beautiful in person, I assure you.

And here's me! On a rock! For no reason!

Down there, somewhere, is Hemet! I know, you wouldn't think so, with how nice it looks from here.

And to treat ourselves, we ate here (because I can get a grilled cheese with tomato, yum!).

So, there's our super-awesome day for everyone to enjoy! Hope it's half as fun for you as it was for us. :-) Goodnight!

3 comments:

Sean said...

Yup today was fun, good post.

The Mutant Penguin Herself said...

Oh how it looked like a wonderful family day! Reminded me a bit of when you were really young and we'd go to Mineral or Sterling City or Paradise... but it was never as fun, I'm sure. I've always been an old lady. But thank you for sharing. My how Matt grows! And how beautiful you look! And happy! Love, Mom

Hillary said...

Love the post and pics! I am up in Maine this weekend -- so nice to get away sometimes. :)