Friday, January 04, 2008

Case Solved!

Soo...I found out why Matthew is so fussy! He's teething! I thought the nighttime wakings were somehow connected to weaning, but it seemed really odd to me he would start demanding bottles at night when he hasn't had any at night for 5 months now. The only bottles he's had have been during the day, and he hasn't even missed them.
I suspected he may be teething because I thought it was just about time he sprout some new teeth, but I couldn't look inside his mouth to see, and every time I put my finger in there he bites me--HARD. One bitten, twice shy and all that.
So finally he gave me a number of opportunities to look into his wide (screaming) mouth today and saw that the poor guy has 4 teeth that I can see coming in all at once. He has one more on each side of his top four teeth (making six in a row on top) that just have the tips poking through, then he has two more on top coming in somewhere in the middle of the other new teeth and the future molars. They were so far back in his little mouth it's hard to see. I THINK he has some coming in the same spaces on the bottom, but can't be sure. I am pretty sure he has the two more molar-ish teeth coming in on the bottom but can't be 100% sure. If so, that would make six teeth coming in at once and one fussy baby! I am guessing it is easy to ignore during the day with all the distractions, but at night when he wakes up (which is normal and usually can just fall right back asleep without any fuss at all), he just lays there by himself with his gums throbbing in pain.
I had been told over and over that the later teething isn't bad and they are used to it etc, etc, so I just didn't connect it. Since it coincided with weaning I just pinned it on that.
So, I guess I better stock up on the Orajel again! I will continue weaning because he really doesn't miss the bottle during the day, and although I've heard it's advisable to stop the weaning process during traumatic times like teething or moving, I figure why bother if it really doesn't matter to him? Best to get it all over with.
Anyway, just wanted to post that and let everyone know I have cracked the case of the Mysterious Night Awakenings, and everything will be all better :-)
I hope everyone sleeps extra hard for us tonight!

No comments: