Monday, August 06, 2007

Irrational Rash

How sad that this has to be my 100th post! Matt has had a rash for a day or so, a little on his face. I wasn't concerned because he had no fever and he is teething (and rash can accompany teething on the face). But this morning I noticed it had spread to an entire half of his face and behind his ear and around his eyes. I STILL was not really concerned, there was no fever, discomfort, itching, or anything. Then after his hour long nap it had spread more and now is all over his head, his back, front and genitals. I have been racking my brain trying to think if he has eaten anything new, or touched anything new, and the answer is no. Plus, I don't think it is a food allergy because those are typically hives and this is just little red bumps. And it's not from crawling because it wasn't, and still isn't, on his arms, hands or legs. It is not heat rash because it isn't in his skin folds where heat and moisture are trapped (plus it is cool inside the house). I am clueless. The nurse said to bring him into the doctor today at 1:30 but I have to work. I have no more sick time left. Even though I am worried, when I logically think about it, he is not in pain, he does not have a fever. All they will probably do is give him some cream and have us watch what he eats and chart any reactions. Worse case scenario is they do that weird allergy scratch test. Ahh!! Rashes suck! This is his first rash. He hasn't even had diaper rash! So I will wait and see and post some results later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Given that he is related to me, he may have the same problem I had when I was a kid --

Horrible sensitivity to oils. *Especially* those used in perfumed soaps but really, almost any kind of oil.

Wash him in warm water, with some hypoallergenic soap (Ivory soap works for me), pat him dry and use talcum powder so that dry is really, really dry.

This gets all potentially harmful oils off his skin. Then just keep him dry and covered and the rash will likely fade fairly quickly.