Saturday, July 15, 2006

back so soon?

Well, as my most vigilant readers I'm SURE will realize, I am back much sooner than expected. Sooner than now, actually. I got back prematurely from Marine Corps Annual Training because I got a scary call from my doctor saying my blood test came back as having a high risk for having a baby with Down Syndrome. After a freak out fest I calmed down and listened to him and it turns out any little thing can tweak the test results, such as being even a little off on my conception date, or if I'm having twins (which I'm not), or sometimes the hormone levels are off for no reason. The book I got when I got the test said most of the positives are false, and the follow-up results will indicate a healthy baby. It says, over and over, in BIG BOLD LETTERS that the majority of women who indicate positive on the test will go on to have perfectly normal pregnancies and babies. I was less freaked when I realized they didn't even test my DNA, just an amount of a chemical in my blood, not even in the baby's blood, just mine. Plus I looked online and DNA-wise, any parent that carries the gene has a pretty good risk of passing it on, and an even better risk if the partner also has a complimentary gene. (even recessive genes). Therefore, if I had the gene for it, it would only go to show logically that it would have shown up somewhere in my family tree. It hasn't. Then the chances for random Down Syndrome are pretty low for me because I concieved when I was 20. Combined with the fact I never had any official pregnancy dating done besides a pee test (which aren't very precise) and the feeling of my uterus and I don't honestly remember the last day of my last period, my dates are probably off from what I told the doctor they are which would make the test results worthless. Anyway, long story short, logically and statistically, my baby is probably fine.
So I go in for the follow-up this wednesday the 19th, and they're going to do a detailed ultrasound to date the pregnancy and look for telltale skeletal defects that indicate DS. If their results are inconclusive, I get to have an amniocentesis. Grreat... One good thing though, I am feeling tons of movement so I am probably close to how far along I need to be to determine the sex of the baby, especially with this super ultrasound, and hopefully I get to find out in 4 days whether this little athlete inside is a girl or a boy!
Oh, and just as a side note, if the kid DOES have DS, I am NOT getting an abortion, Sean and I both agreed that we will of course have the kid and raise it well and make sure it has the best life and the most loving parents possible.
So, onto a happier subject! I did all the laundry today! To normal people this isn't a big deal, but you have to understand that our laundry pile was more of a mountian, and we had stopped using the A/C and just enjoyed the cool glacial breeze coming from the top. I found fossils in the carpet. I'm not sure if they're from small dogs or prehistoric rodents. I had no time to discover which because my aspiring archeologist Mai took the bones under my bed for closer examination. Joey and I were bored so we drove up to Idyllwild, which is on top of the (now) nearest mountian, about an hour away, and ate at a place called the Bread Basket. It's a little over 5,000 ft elevation and was a nice pine-y change from the 115 degree heat where we live. It was also entertaining playing on his fear of heights and accidentally driving a little TOO close to the edge at times. Well, a married pregnant woman has to get her kicks somehow! But I didn't really, really freak him out because that would have left both of us in tears. Well, yes, mine would be tears of laughter, but he IS my friend and I GUESS I wouldn't like it if someone did it to me with like, water or cottonballs. I'm really trying to get the motivation to clean some more today, because so much needs to be done. Really, I am trying. Maybe it would be good motivation if I stopped typing so much and looking at Babyzone (because I am pathetically obsessed with pregnancy, go figure). And a Creamsicle wouldn't hurt. Neither would watching JUST ONE episode of Law and Order CI while eating said Creamsicle. Actually, said Creamsicle and Creamsicle's brother. Or sister. Or both.
Okay, I'll keep everyone updated on what I'm sure will be a wonderfully successful housecleaning night. Tomorrow will be awesome though, I'm going to see Othello with Brenda!!!

No comments: