Friday, January 05, 2007

Sean is gone

Sean is gone-off to drill. So it's Matt and I for the next three days and two nights. Joey is here and willing to help take care of Matt (and he does a good job), but it's not his kid and I don't count on him for help like I count on Sean. Matt woke up sooo many times last night! It's okay though, because each time he wakes up he is hungry or wet; it's not like he's crying randomly. Strange thing--I wake up now way before he starts crying. I'll wake up if he moves a certain way or makes a certain soft noise that I know means he is waking up and needs something. I still sleep through everything else like people talking and loud noises-it's just him that wakes me up! AHH! He is kicking off his blankets AGAIN! You know, I thought newborns LIKED to be swaddled! Hah! Not this one! He made it very clear in the womb that he wanted to get out and stretch his legs and arms and he is making it clear now! He does not like being swaddled! He'll tolerate it, sure, but if he's fussy you'd better not swaddle him! He won't calm down until he is 100% uncovered, then he looks around satisfied at a job well done and falls asleep, hands thrown over his head and his legs in strange skewed directions. Then of course, he wakes up crying because he's cold. And I put a blanket over him. And we repeat.
Anyway, he has a clogged tear duct and his left eye is all gross and gunky and crusted shut. He looks like a pirate! He can open it when I clean it, poor guy, or if he really tries he can open it and there's a bunch of stringy gunk reaching from the top to the bottom of his eye. Poor guy! I'm taking care of it.
I think I am going to give him a sponge bath today. His umbilical cord hasn't fallen off (and it grosses me out to think of it falling off ew), so I can't get him wet, but his skin needs to be washed. It's getting flaky from not having any old skin scrubbed (gently) away, and his hair is super greasy! I have wiped him with baby wipes and it makes it better but he needs real soap/shampoo. I have really nice Aveeno oatmeal hypoallergenic stuff. The only problem is I don't have a spray nozzle for any of the faucets in my apartment so I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and pour cups of water over him to rinse. I hope I don't get any up his nose! Even if I do, he won't remember :-P
Okay, going to go get dressed now. Not much to do today but I need to get out of the house and do something! But I can't go in my bathrobe (unless my name is Arthur Dent of course).

No comments: