Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Don't play with Mattches!

Yeah yeah, long time no post, I know! My mom came down and stayed from January 17th through the 21st and it was awesome! It's the first time in 2 years since I saw her and a lot has changed. I haven't seen her since I was a teenager! It's fascinating to see the little things I do that she does and I didn't know she did, like always leaving the last edge bite of a sandwich or burger. Or our intense dislike for sour cream/mayo (except in deviled eggs and tuna). Or that we both steal covers and sleep with one foot out.
Anyway, she was happy to see me but ecstatic to see Matt! She held him almost constantly, which was fine with me! I think of it this way--she was trying to cram in a month's worth of cuddle time in 5 days. We didn't do anything extraordinary, mostly hung around home or in Walmart. She was able to spoil me this time and she got me more bottles for Matt (he'll only drink out of one kind and we only had 3), more outfits and bibs and hats. She had brought a cute Winnie-the-Pooh diaper bag filled to the brim with cute things she had picked up here and there ever since I got pregnant. One item was a penguin suit that one of her friends gave her (for the life of me I cannot remember who she said it was--but thank you!!!). It was SO CUTE!!! He liked it a lot because it was plushy and warm and he fell asleep for a long time in it.

LAME!!!! Blogger won't let me upload pictures!!!! Well...let it just suffice to say that Matt looks about 80 pounds in the picture and it's very comical. Ha ha.

Stupid Blogger.

Anyway! It was sad seeing her go, but it's not too bad because she is coming down in less than a month for a long weekend. She was able to find cheap enough fare that she could come down almost every month if she wanted. That's really cool because I miss seeing her, and in-laws just don't cut it sometimes when all you want is your mom.
Speaking of moms, I LOVE being one! I honestly didn't think I'd like it this much. Really, having a kid now is pretty much sealing the deal that any sort of "fun" life is over--no partying, no more being irresponsible, no more staying out until the wee hours of night. If getting married didn't stop all fun stuff, having a kid certainly does! If you want to be a responsible parent, that is. But you know what? I freaking LOVE being a mom! I have so much fun with Matt already and I can't wait until he can crawl/walk/talk. He is such a fun kid! I can't wait until I can hang out with him and run around with him and chase him and hike to cool places and bike and roller blade and go to the beach and build sand castles and bury him in the sand! I can't wait to teach him how to read and be confident in his abilities. He has two parents who really love each other and love him more than anything and he is going to have such a happy life! I don't care if I can't stay out late or go to stupid parties. I just want to hang out with Matt and have fun. No post-partum depression here!
Secretly, (not anymore I guess), Sean and I have been talking and we've come to the conclusion that we'd be really happy just having Matt and not any other kids. If something happens and I get pregnant, no problem. However, we're not going to actively try for any more. We feel like we lucked out so much with Matt and we don't want to push our luck. Plus, with two kids, you have to buy two of everything, work alone time with both kids, worry doubly about everything, spend twice as much money, etc. I realize in the end it's also double the happiness, but I think I can find all my gratification in one child. Sean and I are pretty relaxed parents, and having two kids to discipline and worry about will make us into two pretty stressed individuals. Kids spend most of their time and energy plotting how to manipulate their parents to get what they want, and with two kids, they use their time and energy plotting how to work together or against each other to get what they want. Children are devious! I'd rather just worry about one. Plus, I'm quick enough to catch onto one kid's tricks, but I'm not quite sure I'd be able to as quickly catch onto two or more kid's tricks.
I know opinions change, and probably in about a year or two my biological clock will start ringing and encouraging me that I really do want more kids. Who knows? But I'd be 100% happy with just Matt. He's great.
One more thing before I end this posting. I changed my Sprint plan. I looked online at my account and I didn't know I was getting charged $40 extra for stuff I didn't know I had and wasn't using! Lame! They were charging for Vision Pack (where you can send and receive pictures and videos and watch tv on your phone and stuff), voice command, and free minutes after 7. So I called and revamped my plan and got free minutes after 7 (for free instead of paying for it), kept my unlimited texting, and free roaming/long distance, etc, and now my plan went from $142 for two phones after taxes to $105. Plus, they give a 15% discount if you go into a store and show them your military ID and that brings my monthly bill to 89.25 after taxes. We get 700 anytime min, unlimited night and weekend, free mobile to mobile, unlimited texting, no roaming charges and free long distance, free caller ID/call waiting/three way calling. Very, very cool. To revamp my plan I had to do it with their current plan options, which meant I had to take a cut of 100 anytime minutes down from 800 and give up my 5 dollars for every extra 100 minutes I go over. I don't care about the minute cut, but it sucks about losing the $5 for every 100 min deal. However, I was looking at my usage and Sean and I use together an average of 300-400 minutes per billing period because most people we talk to are either on Sprint or we call after 7. So it's okay because we are saving an extraordinary amount of money. Especially since Sean is quitting his job, we'll have all those extra minutes he would normally use to call people he is delivering to. Yay! I'll still have to pay the super high cell phone bill this month, but starting February 12th I can finally start paying what I should have been paying to begin with. Maybe later if finances are looking good I'll pay for free minutes after 6. It's only $5 extra and may be worth it. We'll see.
Okay, I'm going to go watch 24 now which I missed last night thanks to a killer headache. I will post again soon, I PROMISE! Especially since I need to post some pictures.

1 comment:

The Mutant Penguin Herself said...

You are an absolutely WONDERFUL mother! I am so proud of you! I really hated to go... being with you again and meeting Matt (and spending time with Sean and Joey, too!) was so wonderful! If you can fit me into your schedule every month, I might just come every month. Well, until you get tired of me. I wouldn't want to be a pest. I want all my visits to be special to you as well as me. I LOVE YOU A LOT!!! Can't wait for February 16th!!!
Love, Mom